*Must be 21 or older to participate. A signed waiver by each contestant is required to participate.
Bring your game face to Nachtspiele OWA, pronounced nahkht-spie-le, on November 14 in Downtown OWA! Meaning “Night Games” in German, you can enjoy German entertainment, food, and brews in Downtown OWA while teams compete for a chance to win The Nachtspiele Gauntlet. These are the games you want to win! Get your team of four together (no more, no less), and start practicing today.
The winning team will get commemorative Nachtspiele OWA Ceramic Mugs, $400 cash, and be crowned royalty of Nachtspiele OWA!
If competing isn’t your thing, there is plenty for spectators to enjoy while strolling down the beautiful streets of Downtown OWA. Catch authentic live German-inspired entertainment from 4-8pm throughout Downtown OWA; whether it’s the foot stomping energy of a clogging performance or a oom-pah-pah beats of the Polka band. If you are 21 & older, be sure to stop in one of your favorite restaurants to sip a specialty German beer and since Downtown OWA is a designated entertainment district, you can even grab your drink to go, so you don’t miss a minute of the action.
German-inspired food and drink:
- Bratwurst with sauerkraut from Groovy Goat served with a 16 oz. Sam Adams Octoberfest draft for only $13. They will also be offering Grolsch bottles.
- Kartoffelpuffer (traditional German pancake) appetizer with applesauce and sour cream from Lucy’s Retired Surfers Bar plus German beer and JagerBomb specials.
- German lager plus Riesling on special from C’est Le Vin Wine Bar & Shop
- Trattoria Pizza & Italian will serve Warsteiner Dunkel, a dark amber beer.
- Tacos & Margaritas To-Go will serve Warsteiner beer.
- Enjoy a Warsteiner, Paulener, and Schofferhoffer served inside The Park at OWA.
- Plus pretzels at Cinnabon!
- And more to come!
Schedule of Events:
- Event Registration 4-5pm in front of C’est Le Vin Wine Bar & Shop.
- Two 30-minute German-style clogging performances with 13 cloggers from 4-6pm near The Park entrance/Tacos & Margaritas To-Go.
- Character photo ops from 4-8pm roaming Downtown with 2 characters dressed in traditional German attire.
- Two 1.5 hour Polka band performances with a 5-piece Polka band at the Fountain stage between 5-8pm.
- The Nachtspiele Gauntlet will begin at 5pm on the OWA Island and run until 7pm.
- Point tallying is from 7-7:15pm in front of C’est Le Vin Wine Bar & Shop.
Nachtspiele OWA Games
This is a free event! Registration required for teams.
?? Stein Holding Contest ??
Prepping for stein hoisting should always start with some training. Contestants should time their attempts in order to keep a record of their personal best. Contestants can train by practicing their grip with small pints and then working their way up to a full liter.
Each contestant will hold a 1 liter Stein filled with a beverage with one arm completely stretched out and parallel to the floor. You must hold the stein as long as possible in this position. The official referee will decide when the contestant’s time is complete.
• 0-30 seconds – 0 points
• 31-60 seconds – 1 point
• 61-120 seconds – 2 points
• 121-180 seconds – 3 points
• 181-300 seconds – 4 points
• 300+ Seconds – 5 points
?????? Partner Carrying Competition ??????
Two chosen competitors from each team will race through a series of obstacles while one carries the other. If any part of the carried team member’s body touches the ground the team is disqualified. Two teams will race the course at the same time. A helmet will be provided to the carried team member.
• 1st place team – 2 points
• 2nd place team – 1 point
???? Thumb Wrestling ????
The object of the game is to defeat your opponent by pinning their thumb whilst saying “one two three four, I win thumb-o-war” Contestants from two teams will randomly choose numbers 1-4 and will be matched up with opposing contestants. Contestants will face each other standing and grasp right hands together. The ref will verify the thumbs are sticking up and state “one two three four I declare a thumb war.” The round will go on for 60 seconds, if there is no winner, the winner will be decided by a sudden death Rock Paper Scissor match.
• Winner – 2 points
• Loser – o points
?? Beer Sliding ??
Teams should practice moves that display balance and skill. The stein will be heading your way full speed and your team has to creatively catch it in a formation, turns, or flips to receive maximum points. What will your team do?
All four contestants on a team must compete in this game. One team member will slide a full stein to the other three teammates who must catch the stein before it hits the ground. They can simply catch it by the bottom, by the handle with their pointer finger and thumb, or try to get creative as a team for maximum points. The points will be determined by a panel of judges and each team will receive three attempts and can keep their highest score.
• Catching on the bottom – 2 points
• Catch directly by handle with pointer and thumb – 3 points
• Creative catch – 4-10 points